You are here:

Food service establishments - help us beat blockages

Soup pan

Eating out is big business – and the fat, oil and grease coming from the 44,500 plus restaurants, cafés, pubs and other eating places across this region can be a big problem.

Managing fat, oil and food waste correctly and legally can help prevent a blockage which leads to bad smells and costs money, loss of reputation and potential business. Legally, food serving establishments could be forced to close until the problem is sorted out.

All food serving establishments have a duty to ensure their used cooking oil is taken away by a registered waste carrier. Plus they can be prosecuted and fined under Section 111 of
the Water Industry Act for allowing oil and food scraps to cause a blockage.

SwiftComply logo

Keep It Clear has teamed up with SwiftComply to offer free kitchen FOG audits to food premises and provide advice and installation of grease management systems. The premises will also be offered sign-up to the SwiftComply portal which shows public ‘compliance’ of FOG control.

General advice for you and your staff

It’s important that you and your staff prevent oil, fat and food scraps ending up down the plughole. Here's a few simple tips:

Quick tips

Scraping pots and pans:

Scrape vegetable peelings, rice, pasta, food debris and grease from plates, pans and utensils into the bin. Before washing, wipe down using a kitchen towel, and put that in the bin too.

Collecting fat:

Collect any used fat, oil and grease from cooking in a sealed, secure container. Arrange for a registered waste carrier to collect it regularly.

Protecting the drain:

Use sink strainers in plugholes to stop food going down the drain. Empty them into the bin when they get full.

Trapping grease:

If you use grease traps make sure they’re regularly serviced, cleaned, emptied and maintained. Keep a written note in your records.

Bacteriological dosing:

If you use this technology, make sure it’s operated and maintained to the manufacturer’s instructions. Keep a note in your food hygiene records.

Preventing blockages is everyone’s responsibility, so make sure you incorporate this advice into your staff training.

Handy guide

Use a registered waste carrier

There are many schemes that commercial catering establishments such as restaurants, takeaways, pubs, and hotels can sign up to have used cooking oil and fat – including hard fat – taken away and converted into biodiesel.

Depending on the quantities involved, many waste carriers will collect used oil free of charge. Some will even give you lidded barrels to make collection easier.

Make sure the company you employ is registered as a waste carrier with the Environment Agency - After each collection, in return for the waste oil, a registered carrier will give you a Waste Transfer Note.

Keep these legal documents on the premises for two years in case they need to be inspected.


Copyright © 2019 Anglian Water Services Ltd All rights reserved

Registered in England No. 2366656. Registered Office: Lancaster House, Lancaster Way, Ermine Business Park, Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire. PE29 6XU