1. Call our 24 hour helpline 03457 145 145 if your property has been affected by flooding from sewers.
2. Contact your insurance company. Regardless of the reason for the flooding, your insurance company is best placed to help you.
If your property has internal flooding, we will respond as soon as possible. It can take longer if we are prevented from reaching you by exceptional circumstances such as severe weather.
If your property has external flooding, we will attend as soon as we can but have to prioritise those customers in greatest need, such as those with internal flooding.
After visiting you, we will arrange a clean up to:
- remove excess liquid and any solids left behind
- wash down and disinfect external areas like tiled floors and footpaths.
Contact your insurance company to:
- dry out your property
- replace any contents
- provide alternative accommodation
- pay compensation for loss or damage to your contents or property.
Until things get back to normal, take care to:
- wash your hands thoroughly if they come into contact with the flooded area
- get rid of contaminated food, including cans
- don’t eat contaminated crops from your garden or allotment
- take extra care when preparing food
- always wash your hands and store opened food in a sealed container
- avoid using affected gas and electrical appliances until a qualified gas fitter or electrician has checked they’re safe
- make sure your property is safe and secure if you’re opening doors and windows for ventilation.
If you feel unwell, accidentally swallow any contaminated material, or have any symptoms such as diarrhoea or sickness after the flood then call your doctor immediately.