You are here:

How to check for leaks

Leaky bucket with water escaping

Leaks can waste a lot of water if they aren’t fixed quickly. If you think you have a leak and have a water meter you can check for a leak by carrying out the following steps:

Seven easy steps

  1. Open the meter chamber, remove the polystyrene on top of the meter and any surface water that may have collected in the chamber. A sponge usually does the trick.
  2. Check that the meter serial number is the same number as the one shown on your bill.
  3. Turn off the water supply at the external stop-tap.
  4. Turn your cold water tap on, if the water stops this means it is your meter. If it doesn't stop the supply of water, contact us on 03457 91 91 55 (Mon to Fri 8am-8pm, Sat 9am-1pm).
  5. Turn the external stop tap back on and turn off the internal stop tap.
  6. Go back to the meter outside. You will see black and red numbers on the meter dial. If either of these numbers are moving you may have a leak on your supply pipe. If there is no movement, there is no problem with the external supply.
  7. Return to the internal stop tap and turn back on. Go back to the meter and see if the numbers move, if they do, this would indicate a problem with the internal supply and you should contact a private plumber to help investigate and repair.

If you need help or assistance on checking for leaks please call us on 03457 145 145.

Find out more on who's responsible for fixing leaks and how to get them fixed fast.

Just where is the water going?

In some cases, particularly with older properties where the use of the property has changed, such as a conversion of a house to flats, there may be a joint or shared supply. So rather than indicating a possible leak, the meter could be recording water being used by a neighbour. If you feel this is the case, please call us on 03457 145 145 and we'll be happy to investigate.

If you discover a leak, please arrange for it to be repaired as soon as possible.

We can help by providing a list of locally based approved plumbers who will be able to carry out such work.

You may then be able to claim an allowance for any additional water recorded on your meter during the leak. For more details call us on 03457 91 91 55 or use our online form.

The facts about leakage allowances

Will I be given an allowance for the water charges incurred by the leak?

Yes, we will consider an ex gratia once only claim for an allowance to cover the cost of water lost through the leak during the last 12 months and also sewerage charges due in respect of any lost water.

No, if:

  • the leak was caused by your negligence or by the negligence of someone authorised to act for you.
  • if you have been granted an allowance before.

How will the allowance be calculated?

By agreeing your average water used and taking this figure from the water recorded during the period of the leak, up to a maximum period of 12 months.

What if my water supply or sewerage is provided by a different company?

  • If your water is supplied by another company and they give you an allowance for water leakage, we will also make an allowance against your sewerage charges.
  • If we only supply your water and another company provides sewerage services, we will tell them when and why we agree to make any allowance against your water charges. They must then give you an allowance against your sewerage charges.

Do I have to pay any water bill that arrives while I’m waiting for an allowance?


  • if you have a payment arrangement please continue as normal.
  • if you pay on receipt of a bill, please pay an amount based on bills for same time period of previous year or ring for advice.
  • new customers should ring for advice based on occupancy level at the property.

Any overpayments will be refunded to you.


Copyright © 2017 Anglian Water Services Ltd All rights reserved

Registered in England No. 2366656. Registered Office: Lancaster House, Lancaster Way, Ermine Business Park, Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire. PE29 6XU