We understand that some developers prefer to use a self-lay provider (SLP) to install self-lay mains and/or service connections.

If you are a non-household customer or applying for a temporary building supply, at the point of connection you will need to have selected a retailer.

To read more and for guidance on selecting a retailer go to the Open Water website

We are fully prepared to assist developers when using SLPs as an alternative to us constructing new mains.

Please refer to the Water UK Self-lay Code of Practice here.


If you choose to go down the self-lay route, there are 3 options:

  • Self-lay mains.
  • Self-lay services only.
  • Self-lay mains and services.

The work must be completed by a SLP which is accredited by the Water Industry Registration Scheme (WIRS).

The scheme is administered by Lloyds Register so that you can safely choose a SLP.


If you're choosing to self-lay it is important you notify us at various stages in the process. You can find the notification forms below.

Do you need help with your application or want further information?

Email: developmentservices@anglianwater.co.uk

Call: 0345 60 66 087 and choose option 2
(08:00 to 17:00 Monday to Friday)