Building over or near a public sewer

During the building of any development you'll need to make sure that there are no public sewers located in the area of planned works.


We now have the ability to carry out some of your appointments virtually. Using our new video technology called 'ResponsEye', your Anglian Water representative will be able to be present onsite without physically being there!

Take a look and let us know if you'd like to take advantage of this new technology


You will need to make a build over/near application using our online portal, InFlow, if you do not comply with our standard criteria.

Under no circumstances will we permit building over a sewer or lateral drain where:

  • The sewer is pressurised, i.e. a pumping/rising main
  • A manhole/chamber will be inside a building
  • An entirely new dwelling/building is proposed.

If the existing pipe is discovered to be in a poor state or the material is pitch fibre, then in order for a build over to be considered, you will be required to re-lay the length of pipe underneath the structure at your own cost. This will minimise the risk of the pipe failing structurally after construction, and the potential for inconvenience and loss of service to you in the future.

NB: If the sewer is pumped a build over or near agreement will NOT be permitted and a Section 185 'Diversion of a public sewer' can be applied for.

Please note that diverting the sewer should be considered where feasible. It is unlikely that we will permit you to build over a *strategic public sewer.

*Strategic public sewers are usually large diameter sewers, that carry waste for a significant number of properties.


Apply to build over or near to a public sewer

To apply to build over or near a public sewer, please apply via InFlow using the link on the right hand side.


Need help with your application or want further information?



Call: 0345 60 66 087, Option 3  (08:00 to 17:00 Monday to Friday)