Limescale can build up in kettles and react with the natural tannins in tea causing an oily brown scum. This is not harmful but can be unsightly.
The following tips will help to improve the appearance of your cuppa:
- make tea in a pot rather than a mug
- use a kettle or teapot with a spout lower down to avoid the scum floating in the surface
- add milk to your cup first (whole milk produces more scum than semi-skimmed milk )
- use tea leaves instead of tea bags
- don’t let tea ‘stew ’ – the stronger the tea, the more tannins there are to produce the scum
- try using a tea strainer even for tea bags
- pop a wire scale collector into your kettle and consider a limescale removing product – it will prevent a build-up in your taps and basins.