Skip to main content

Help paying your bill

We all need a little help from time to time, sometimes not having enough money to pay your bills can be a challenge, so if you’re finding it hard, call our helpline 0800 169 3630 and we’ll work with you to come up with a payment plan.

Who else can help?

You can get independent advice from:

Citizen Advice

National Debt line Phone: 0808 808 4000 

Stepchange Debt Charity Phone: 0800 138 1111 Try the 60 second debt test to see if you need debt advice

If you receive Income Support, Pension Credit, Employment Support Allowance, Universal Credit or Job-Seekers Allowance, the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) may be able to take an amount directly from these benefits to pay your water bill. Check out our tariffs section for more information on other ways to save money.

LITE tariff

Our Low Income Tariff for Eligible (LITE) households is designed to help you if you have little disposable income by reducing your bill by up to 80%. Find out more and apply.

Pension credit

A benefit giving you extra money each week if you’re 60 or over and living in the UK with a weekly income of less than £163* (if you’re single) or £248.80* (part of a couple).

* during 2019-20

Applying is easy. Call freephone 0800 99 1234 or visit the Pension Credit website for more details.

Priority services

We want to make sure that we always give the best service possible to all of our customers. If you have particular requirements due to your age, health, medical condition or extra communication requirements. We understand that not everyone’s situation or needs are the same and our priority services may help you.

Extra Care Assessment

Everybody needs easy access to water, sewerage or a combination of the two. That’s why we offer a range of tariffs and plans to help with everything from managing payments to dealing with debt. Complete our online assessment here.