River and road flooding

During extreme weather conditions flooding can take place.


There are lots of different organisations that can help during a flood.  Who to contact depends on the type of flood and the source of the flood.   It can be difficult to understand the type of flood as there may be several different factors involved, such as nearby rivers but we have detailed who to contact in the event of a river and road flood.


Sea and main river flooding

Storms and heavy rain can lead to river and sea flooding. Large scale flooding like this can cause a danger to life and property.


You should contact the Environment Agency when major rivers flood, or storms cause coastal flooding.


Call the Environment Agency 24-hour floodline on 0800 80 70 60.

Small river flooding

You should report flooding of small rivers, streams and brooks to your local council.

Find your local council here.

Flooding on roads

Flooding on roads can be caused by overflowing rivers, blocked highway drains and grates, or burst water or sewage pipes.


Highway flooding
You should contact National Highways to report flooding or gully issues as they are responsible for major roads such as motorways and dual carriageways. We look after the sewerage pipes and the water that flows underneath the road to our treatment sites, find out more about highway drainage.


Flooding on minor roads  
Tell your local council about a flooded public road or blocked ditch. Find your local council here. 


Road flooding due to a burst pipe 
You should report flooding on a road that’s coming from a burst public water or sewer pipe to us here.