You are here:

Leaks and how to fix them

house with a leak on the supply pipe

The pipe work supplying your home with water is your responsibility.

We want to help keep your water supply pipe work in tip top working order. And that includes helping you to find and fix any leaks.

It’s all part of our promise to reduce leakage across our region, and to save water in this driest part of the UK.

Mains and supply pipes - who's responsible for what

In most cases we’re responsible for the pipe work from the water mains up to your property boundary, or to the stop tap or meter if inside your property boundary (dark blue area). If you have a wall mounted meter box then we are only responsible up to the property boundary.

There are a few locations where your responsibility can extend beyond your own property boundary. See property C, where the private supply pipe is within the boundary of another property, but you (or your landlord) are responsible for that section of pipe work.

In the case of a shared supply pipe - see properties D, E, F and G - responsibility and costs for maintenance or repair are shared between the properties.

houses showing water supply pipe responsibility


Spotted a leak? Here's how to get it fixed fast

When leaks do happen, it’s important to find and fix them as soon as possible. Here's what to do:

1. Check your insurance

First thing to do is check your home insurance policy, it might cover you for leaks on your supply pipe. If it does, give them a call.

2. Do you have separate insurance cover?

Have you taken out a separate insurance policy to cover leaks on your water supply pipe? Arranged through HomeServe for example? If you have, give them a call.

3. Repairing leaks

If your insurance policy doesn’t cover you for fixing leaks, you’ll need to contact a plumber.

We can help. Here's a list of Anglian Water approved plumbers or underground installers. Alternatively, you can find a plumber or contractor in your local area on the internet, local paper or yellow pages.

4. Let us know when your leak's repaired

Once your leak has been repaired, please let us know. Call us on 03457 145 145 or email  If you are a metered customer we’ll also ask you to provide us with two meter readings, two weeks apart. This will help us to calculate any refund that may be due.

5. Carry out a leak test

After the leak has been repaired, regularly carry out a leak test to make sure that you have no other leaks and if you do, please get them repaired within 30 days too.

Some FAQs

Why do I need to tell you when i've fixed my leak?

If you’re a metered customer, and the leak is repaired within 30 days, you will be able to apply for a one-off claim to cover the additional cost of water and sewerage charges as a result of the leak. So we can get the amount right, we will need you to provide two meter readings, two weeks apart.

For all customers, leaks can cause damage to gardens and property, and in this driest part of the UK, we do everything we can to stop leaks and save water – and we really do appreciate all the help you can give us.

Why do I only have 30 days to fix my leak?

Because there is a legal process involved if the repair is not completed within this time. We know that you will want to get the leak repaired as quickly as possible, and we hope you find the attached leaflet helpful – it tells you more about the legal bit too.

Can I get financial help to fix my leak?

If you receive one or more of the following benefits, you may be able to get help to pay for the pipe repair:

  • Council Tax Benefit
  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Support
  • Income-based Job Seekers’ Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit (except families in receipt of the family element only).
  • State Pension Credit
  • Universal Credit

For more details, call us on 03457 91 91 55.

How can I protect my pipe work for the future?

Anglian Water Direct has been working with HomeServe* for over 20 years and is able to offer Anglian Water customers a range of policies in the event of a home emergency.

  • 24 hour UK claims number.
  • Access to HomeServe's network of approved engineers.

Find out more or call 0800 408 9135.

Terms and Conditions apply.

* There are other companies who can also offer this type of insurance policy

I currently share my supply pipe with a neighbour, how can I change this?

If you’d prefer to have your own supply pipe, it would be a good opportunity to ask us about installing one at the same time the leak is being repaired. We do make a charge but will keep costs to a minimum. If you’d like an estimate please call us on 0845 6066087.

Leaks and how to fix them


Copyright © 2019 Anglian Water Services Ltd All rights reserved

Registered in England No. 2366656. Registered Office: Lancaster House, Lancaster Way, Ermine Business Park, Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire. PE29 6XU