Developing a new apartment block

Every self-contained flat or apartment in your development will need its own water supply and meter.


Whether you are building a new apartment block or converting a property into flats/apartments, it is highly likely that you will need a new connection to our water main as well as a connection to the public sewer.


How to connect to the water supply

You will need to connect a service pipe to the water main nearest your property. This is usually found in the road nearby in built up areas but you might need a longer service pipe laying if you are developing a site in a rural area.


Each flat or apartment will need its own water account. This means it needs its own water supply. You can lay separate service pipes from each flat or apartment to the highway boundary. Alternatively, you could use one large diameter connection onto our main and then split this internally to feed each flat.


To apply for a connection and for more information about the process, including timescales, please see our water connections page.

How to connect to the sewage system

You must apply to connect your new apartment block to our sewer system. Please go to our page on how to connect to the public sewer to do this and get more information.


It is illegal to connect to the public sewer without permission.

How to avoid problems with water supplies in apartments and flats

There are a number of issues to consider when planning plumbing for apartments and flats including:

  • Access
  • Location of new meters
  • Noise
  • Leakage
  • Frozen pipes
  • Interference

We have created a guide on Design Considerations For Water Supplies In Apartment Buildings And Flats which brings together our experience of the most common pitfalls and how to avoid them.

How to contact us


Call: 0345 60 66 087




Our offices are open 08:00 to 17:00 - Monday to Friday